home greatfulness blog roll about me contact me

Friday, May 20, 2011

The Rain in Spain....

OH.. just kidding.
The rain in Wichita Falls.  It's been a long time coming.  We seriously were about to burst into flames OR fall into the dry cracks in the earth.
I'm hoping now the Lantana I planted will actually survive.  Have I told you that story?  I have a black thumb. I killed Ivy once.  And a Cactus.

I had planted Lantana in some cool hanging plant bowls from Ikea.  Like the ones below, but black.  Way cool.  No drain hole.  See where I'm going with this?  They 'died.'  .......So I thought.
IKEA MYNTA Hanging planter - photo

They turned to flowerless brown twigs.  I buried them in the planting bed under my crepe myrtle {who can take care of itself, thank goodness}.  I covered them up to be with their maker.  Every so often, I would toss a little water their, just for grins and giggles.  One winter I even covered them with mulch, as if to protect them from one  of the Texas Blizzards we had coming.   One summer, I saw some little leaves come up.  I thought to myself, how did MINT get planted in my trashy leafy crepe myrtle bed?  {Lantana leaves look like mint when they are tiny, I swear.}  Then, just as I was coming up out of my PPD induced coma, I saw these!  

They're ALIVE!


I can nurture something into life!  Wow!  Whoda thunk it?   I did get a little burst of happiness and joy from this.   After some time, to be sure they weren't going to die again, I bought more and added them to the Lantana/ Crepe Myrtle Party.

I'm going to give them some time before I take pictures, just in case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment